Andreas Sundgren’s Brännland Cider specialty is iscider (ice cider). He has won multiple awards for his ice cider and follows traditional techniques that are “true to the quality denomination of Quebec”. He reached out to renown American ice cidermaker Eleanor Leger of Eden Cider of Newport Vermont, crediting her for helping him understand the makings of ice cider.
Based in Sweden, Andreas uses cryoconcentration – which is where the apple juice pre-fermentation is frozen to separate the water from the juice. The juice is then racked (siphon) out of the frozen mass of water and then fermented.
How to define cider? “A wine made from 100% apple juice. Made in the same way as wine.
Honest cider that has at least 50-60% apple juice.”
Why not call it ice apple wine?
“Cider is the word used to differentiate a grape wine from an apple wine.”
- Ice cider – won a gold medal at SISGA 15 held in Asturia Spain
- Perle – slightly sparkling/semi dry
The specifics of Brännland iscider can be found here
Contact for Brännland Ciders
- Website: http://www.brannlandcider.se/
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +46 70 345 85 95
- Address: Renmarkstorget 8, Umeå Sweden
- Facebook: facebook.com/brannlandcider
- Twitter @andreassundgren
Notables mentioned in this chat
- Christian Barthomeuf Quebec ice cidermaker
- Eric Bordolet French cidermaker
- Domaine Dupont French cidery
- Randall Grahm listen to 012: Randall Grahm | Bonny Doon Vineyard, CA
Help keep Cider Chat thriving become a Patron today via my Patreon Page
Missed the link above to listen to this chat? Here it is again below. 🙂