Llorenç Frigola of Mooma cidery, in the Catalonia (Catalan) province of Girona is an Agricultural Engineer by trade who works with a fruit cooperative that has been growing apples for the past 50 years. The cidery started in 2013. He is now the President of the cooperative.
(l to r)Pau Frigola, Josep Davall and Llorenç Frigola
This area of Spain, unlike Asturias, the Basque region, or Cantabria has had no production of cider at all. Mooma looked to providing a value added product to their market. Their goal is to meet the local market that leans towards Champagne and Cava wine (a Catalonia wine made in the champenoise traditional method).
Mooma, stores apples and presses throughout the year. The cider is fermented then micro filtered and the flagship cider does have a bit of sugar added. It is bottled in 12 ounce bottles and boxed, much like you would find in the UK.
Mooma grew out of the desire to provide value added product to the cooperative’s current offerings as Llorenç says, “Our goal is to show to the Catalan people all that is possible with apples”
What kind of apples does Mooma use?
- Red Delicious
- Granny Smith
- Pink Lady
Where did Llorenç learn cidermaking?
- Traveling about to cider destinations.
AND Reading books on cider
Who drinks cider in Catalonia?
- Young people
Take a look at this lovely video that will give you a sense of the region and branding of Mooma – with this video called Mooment Romantic!
Mooma ciders are in the range of 5.5% to 6%
Catalonia market expanding and experimenting
- Planting 30 varieties from France, Asturias, West County and Italy
- Investing in genetics for cider production.
Traveling to Catalonia?
- The biggest local airport is Barcelona
- The Girona airport is a 100 kilometers to Mooma
Contacting Mooma Cider
- website: http://mooma.cat/
- Twitter: @moomacider
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/moomacider/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=mooma
The actual location if you Google it is
- Unnamed Road 17256, Fontanilles, Province of Girona, Spain
from the website:
Telephone: +34 972 75 56 89
Mentions in this Chat!
CiderCon February 8th through 10th, 2017
Ask for the following #CiderGoingUP Campaign cider supporters – By supporting these cider makers, you in turn help Ciderville.
- Kurant Cider – Pennsylvania : listen to Joe Getz on episode 14
- Big Apple Hard Cider – NYC : listen to Danielle von Scheiner on episode 35
- Oliver’s Cider and Perry – Herefordshire/UK ; listen to Tom Oliver on episode 29
- Santa Cruz Cider Company – California : listen to Nicole Todd on episode 60
- The Cider Project – California
- Albermale CiderWorks : listen to Chuck Shelton on episode 56
Please Help Support Cider Chat Please donate today. Help keep the chat thriving!
Find this episode and all episodes at the page for Cider Chat’s podcasts.
Follow on twitter @ciderchat
Haven’t downloaded this epsiode yet? Too save you the scroll here it is below: