Charles McGonegal is full time cider geek who also happens to have a day job as a petro chemist. He and his wife Melissa founded AEppelTreow Winery in Wisconsin in 2001. Why AEppelTreow? Charles says, “I wanted a name that was a little pretentious and not French”
Charles has a particular fondness for Perry and has what he calls the country’s (US) only Poire collection (meaning perry pear trees). He spent years getting permission from the a USDA to plant imported perry pears. “I have what are suppose to be the top three Breton and top three Norman perry pears in a test orchard.”
In this chat we find out more about AEppelTreow (pronounce Apple True) and get a bushel of tips on making perry.
The main chat with Charles begins at 7:48 minutes.
The specific chat on Perry begins at 38:20 minutes, with a mini intro by the Talking Pomes. A transcript of this section of the chat on perry making will be transcribed and posted to the Cider Chat Patreon page. Become a patron today and help keep this chat thriving.
On storaging of perry during its fermentation and conditioning
- have a good seal – Charles recommended even using electrical tap
- never let it (the airlock) dry out
- CO2 blanket it or use Aragon (because it settles more than CO2)
- know the Ph of the perry and make the right adjustments
telephone: (262) 878-5345
1072 288th Ave
Burlington, WI 53105
Mentions in this Chat
- Brighton Woods Orchard
- Shelton Brothers impoters
- Cider Chat episode 026 Neil Worley on Keeving
- Cider Chat episode 081 Stephanie & Aaron Carson | Gypsy Circus Cider Co, Tennessee
Enter the Giveaway for 2 tickets to Cider Circus August 26, 2017 at Copper Mountain Ski Resort in Colorado http://cidercircus.com/ Enter by subscribing to eCiderNews and be automatically entered or become a Patron of Cider Chat and be entered automatically to all Cider Chat contests and giveaways.
Ask for the following 7 #CiderGoingUP Campaign cider supporters – By supporting these cider makers, you in turn help Ciderville.
- Kurant Cider – Pennsylvania : listen to Joe Getz on episode 14
- Big Apple Hard Cider – NYC : listen to Danielle von Scheiner on episode 35
- Oliver’s Cider and Perry – Herefordshire/UK ; listen to Tom Oliver on episode 29
- Santa Cruz Cider Company – California : listen to Nicole Todd on episode 60
- The Cider Project aka EthicCider– California
- Albermale CiderWorks : listen to Chuck Shelton on episode 56
- Cider Summit : listen to Alan Shapiro founder of this cider fest on episode 75.
Please Help Support Cider Chat Please donate today. Help keep the chat thriving!
Find this episode and all episodes at the page for Cider Chat’s podcasts.
Follow on twitter @ciderchat
Haven’t downloaded this chat yet? Here is is again.