Robby Honda owner and cidermaker at Tanuki Cider is one of a growing number of cidermakers in the Santa Cruz Mountains of California. Robby’s chat begins at 27:57 minutes in.
Before we get to Robby I share my tips on managing you cider once the initial fermentation has slowed down.
- Racking cider
- Sulfite usage
- Managing the head space once racking is complete
- What to do if your cider freezes during fermentation
At the end of the podcast I share how I make cyser, a cider made with honey
Ria’s Basic Cyser Recipe that always kickass!
- 5 gallons fresh pressed apple juice
- 5 pounds of raw honey
- rehydrated Sweet Mead Yeast – I use WPL720 from White Labs, but any sweet mead yeast will do too.
Blend all this together and viola! You made cyser, now all you need is a bit of patience.
Contact for Tanuki Cider
Maker: Robby Honda
Mentions in this Chat
Totally Cider Travels – Come along with Ria of Cider Chat as we travel through Somerset and Herefordshire in the UK visiting makers and drinking cider along the way! The trip begins in Bristol, UK on wednesday April 25 and run through May 2, 2018.
First dibs to go on this trip goes to the Patrons of Cider Chat. You too can join Cider Chat Patreon’s page and become a Patron of Cider Chat helping to support this podcast. This trip will be posted this week on the Cider Chat Patreon page.
Ask for the following 9 #ciderGoingUP Campaign sponsors – By supporting these cider makers, you in turn help Cider Chat
- Kurant Cider – Pennsylvania : listen to Joe Getz on episode 14
- Big Apple Hard Cider – NYC : listen to Danielle von Scheiner on episode 35
- Oliver’s Cider and Perry – Herefordshire/UK ; listen to Tom Oliver on episode 29
- Santa Cruz Cider Company – California : listen to Nicole Todd on episode 60
- The Cider Project aka EthicCider– California
- Albermale CiderWorks : listen to Chuck Shelton on episode 56
- Cider Summit : listen to Alan Shapiro founder of this cider fest on episode 75.
- Ramborn Cider Co. Luxembourg.
- Big Fish Cider Co. Virginia
Please Help Support Cider Chat Please donate today. Help keep the chat thriving!
Find this episode and all episodes at the page for Cider Chat’s podcasts.
Follow on twitter @ciderchat
Haven’t downloaded this chat yet? Here is is again.