Sign up for the Totally Cider Tour to the UK in April 2018 and join Ria and other awesome cider friends on this tour of a life time. Go to http://bit.ly/2jfStgb and register now!
Ice Cider is made by freezing fresh pressed apple juice. The first element to freeze in the process is the water that is naturally occurring in all apples to a less or greater degree. As the water freezes, the pure liquid apple juice (sans the water) is extracted and then made into what is known as Ice Cider! Canadian cidermakers hold the title for exposing the world to this process. Quebec maker Christian Barthomeuf is the man that we all hail as the ice cider inventor.
Chadd Cook of Cider Hill Cellars, who was on episode 104 of Cider Chat, makes an ice cider that was inspired by Eden’s ice cider with northern spy as the base apple. Chadd makes mention of Eleanor Ledger co-owner and maker at Eden Specialty Ciders who also happens to lives across the border from Bathomeuf in Vermont and has become America’s go-to voice for ice cider.
In this chat, Chadd shares how he “reverse” engineered Eden’s ice cider when working on his own ice cider for Cider Hill Cellars.
Listen to his many tips such as,
– the amount of fresh juice that is needed to make one gallon of ice cider
– the best apple to use for making ice cider
– the freezing process for fresh pressed juice, freezing right above 34 degrees.
– stopping fermentation of ice cider
Contact for Cider Hill Cellars
- Website: http://www.ciderhill.com/cellars/
- Address: 45 Fern Ave Amesbury MA 01913
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Cider-Hill-Cellars-618581648230401/
Mentions in this chat:
February 11, 2018 – New York International Beer Competition (NYIBC) is accepting cider entries NOW! NYIBC is using the United States Association of Cider Makers new cider categories for this competition. The judges at this competition are in the trade of buying and selling cider and thus judge the cider on the merits of taste and price point.
Ask for the following 9 #ciderGoingUP Campaign sponsors – By supporting these cider makers, you in turn help Cider Chat
- Kurant Cider – Pennsylvania : listen to Joe Getz on episode 14
- Big Apple Hard Cider – NYC : listen to Danielle von Scheiner on episode 35
- Oliver’s Cider and Perry – Herefordshire/UK ; listen to Tom Oliver on episode 29
- Santa Cruz Cider Company – California : listen to Nicole Todd on episode 60
- The Cider Project aka EthicCider– California
- Albermale CiderWorks : listen to Chuck Shelton on episode 56
- Cider Summit : listen to Alan Shapiro founder of this cider fest on episode 75.
- Ramborn Cider Co. Luxembourg.
- Big Fish Cider Co. Virginia
Please Help Support Cider Chat Please donate today. Help keep the chat thriving!
Find this episode and all episodes at the page for Cider Chat’s podcasts.
Follow on twitter @ciderchat
Haven’t downloaded this chat yet? Here is is again.