Rick Moreno opened the doors of Newtopia Cyder in San Diego County California in January 2017. He comes into the trade as an entrepreneur and owner of Tornado Seattle, a bar with a craft beer and spirits focus, also serving cider and food.
Say’s Rick of his new venture with Newtopia Cyder that is both a cidery with Tasting Room, we are “making our own new American style”.
He takes an engaging approach to educating and meeting the San Diego beer palate by having a set standard flight of ciders called “Four Core”
Rick says, “I created a Four Core (flight of ciders) that hits every part of your palate. We use old world wine processes and blend them with new world beer ingredients”
One side of the cidery is flanked with stainless steel tanks for making modern ciders. This variety can be made in 4-6 weeks and usually have a fruit or flavored component. The wall on the other side of the cidery has oak barrels stacked and filled with what Rick calls “Old World Heritage Cider”. The Tasting room has ample seating both indoors and outdoors.
Take home a can or crawler of cider of any of the Four Core Ciders.
Join the Member Club and have access to all of the ciders being poured as a take home option.
What to look forward to in the coming year from Newtopia Cyder?
- Distilling an Apple Jack Brandy in March 2019.
- Expansion into a 4000 square foot building area next door with a meat and cheese parlor too.
- There are 10 acres not on site but not too far away that is being used to grow cider apples. This location will be used as a destination site for weddings and events.
Rick calls the growing Newtopia scene “a compound”. The feel though industrial is warm and engaging. Exactly what cider fans want in their cider compound.
The logistics low down on Newtopia Cyder
- Newtopia is Open 7 days a week.
- Monday-Wednesday 3 PM – 9 PM
- Thursday-Friday 12 PM – 10 PM
- Saturday 11 AM – 10 PM
- Sunday 11 AM – 9 PM
- 12-15 minute ride from San Diego Airport.
- Of note: the road that the Newtopia is on also has 56 breweries on that same road!
Contact info for Newtopia Cyder
- eMail: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://www.drinknewtopia.com/
- Address: 10045 Carrol Canyon Road. Suite A San Diego, CA 92131
- Telephone: 858-929-4305
Mentions in this chat
1. Rack over cider now. If you made cider in the fall and it has gone through primary fermentation any lees that has dropped to the bottom of the carboy will begin to affect the cider by creating off odors and flavors. This is your friendly reminder to “Rack your cider”.
2. Place orders now for fruit trees, root stock, and scion wood for Spring plantings and grafting.
Cummins Nursery I am going in on an order w/friends of Ciderville – Joby and William. We are ordering a pear rootstock from Cummins Nursery. Stay posted!
Fedco – a great resource. The catalogues are beautiful.
Fedco’s Tree catalogue and also their Seed catalogue is like reading a piece of art. The discount deadline for orders has passed. But you can still place orders until March 9th, except for scion wood.
Colin Scott of E & J Scott Orchard sells saplings of Apple varieties such as Northern Spy and Redfield, plus more. He is located in western Massachusetts in the town of Buckland. Listen to his episode 93 on Orchard Care and Apple Storage. You will find his contact info on the show notes.
If you have a good resource for fruit trees and root stock out there in Ciderville send me email@example.com and I will share that good news.
Ask for the following 9 #ciderGoingUP Campaign sponsors – By supporting these cider makers, you in turn help Cider Chat
- Kurant Cider – Pennsylvania : listen to Joe Getz on episode 14
- Big Apple Hard Cider – NYC : listen to Danielle von Scheiner on episode 35
- Oliver’s Cider and Perry – Herefordshire/UK ; listen to Tom Oliver on episode 29
- Santa Cruz Cider Company – California : listen to Nicole Todd on episode 60
- The Cider Project aka EthicCider– California
- Albermale CiderWorks : listen to Chuck Shelton on episode 56
- Cider Summit : listen to Alan Shapiro founder of this cider fest on episode 75.
- Ramborn Cider Co. Luxembourg.
- Big Fish Cider Co. Virginia
- Tanuki Cider Co. Santa Cruz California episode 103
Please Help Support Cider Chat Please donate today. Help keep the chat thriving!
Find this episode and all episodes at the page for Cider Chat’s podcasts.
Follow on twitter @ciderchat
Haven’t downloaded this chat yet? Here is is again.