Angry Orchard is the #1 cider brand in the US and there is a very good reason why it holds this coveted place. Undoubtedly, being a subsidiary of Boston Beer Company means connections to Jim Koch’s brewery empire a.k.a. Samuel Adams Boston Lager. But to think that Angry Orchard is merely tapping into the US cider mania would be short sighted.
Boston Beer Co. has been researching cider since the early 2000s with the help of Alan Tringham, a retired cidermaker from the European brand known as Bulmers. I had the opportunity to meet Grant Wood from Boston Beer Co. who was working with Tringham at the time to “create the perfect cider for the American public”. They both stopped by my cidermaking workshop at CiderDays back in 2004. Hoo wee! Imagine presenting cidermaking to the likes of the now late Alan Tringham.
Anyhoo…the first cider brand for Boston Beer Co. was known as Hard Core. That brand was shelved, and a few moments later we were seeing Angry Orchard commercials during the Super Bowl! Bingo! The new brand was taking hold with its flagship cider Crisp Apple.
Take note cidermaker wannabees….to think that a brand such as Angry Orchard would sit on it laurels with what many would consider an introductory cider made to entice a public that is still wrangling with cider is not time well spent.
Angry Orchard led by newly minted Head Cidermaker Ryan Burk and Assistant Cidermaker Anna Hasan is and will continue to move mountains in Ciderville! Listen to this episode and hear Ryan’s story and what we can all expect from Angry Orchard. He and Anna have already started pushing the envelope with the likes of Stone Dry (5.5%) a new cider now available in six packs.
You have to visit the Walden location to taste select drafts that may or may not make it into the mass market.
What to expect at the Tasting Room?
A very large, yet inviting room with windows that overlook the orchard.
If the weather is right, there is outdoor seating and a gas lit fire pit.
Each visitor of drinking age, receives one token that can be used for (3) complimentary samples in the tasting room. Cider styles available include the flagship cider, Crisp Apple (5%) and several other core offerings, as well as ciders exclusive to the tasting room. Such as the house cider – Farm Cider – an unfiltered cider made with apples from the orchard’s 2014 harvest.
Listen to what Angry Orchard is looking for the future.
- Cidermaking trends
- Cider Act
- How are they playing with the Cider House Series?
- What will they do with their Ice Cider this coming winter?
- How does terroir factor into the Angry Orchard cider house and what is their soil profile?
- Classic misconceptions about Angry Orchard.
Ryan’s go-to book on cidermaking:
Links to cidermakers mentioned in this podcast:
Farnum Hill – Steve Wood
Aaron Burr – Perry
Ria’s book Recommendation on the Golden Gate Park’s Boss Gardener
Here’s how you enter the Cider Chat Swag Contest
- Post a 5 star review for Cider Chat on iTunes or Stitcher
- Take a screenshot of your review.
- Tweet the screenshot of your review to me ria@ciderchat or post it the Cider Chat Facebook wall or email me if you are not on social media to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You must be located in the Continental United Statesto enter the Cider Chat Swag Contest.
- This contest begins on December 16, 2015 and ends January 16,2016 at 11:55 pm EST.
- Cider Chat is hosting this contest thanks to the generosity of Angry Orchard.
- Prizes include (2) Angry Orchard Glasses, (2) Angry Orchard Paddle Openers, and (2) Angry Orchard Opener/Keychains
- Winners will have to supply their name, address and sign a release.
- Cider Chat will be selecting the 5 top reviews.
- 1 best of best reviews will receive 2 Angry Orchard Glasses
- The 2 second best reviews will each receive an Angry Orchard paddle opener.
- The 2 third best reviews will receive an Angry Orchard key chain opener.No purchase necessary, merely send an email to email@example.com and Leave in the Subject line Cider Chat Swag Contest. Your name will be placed in an envelope where we will randomly select non reviewers who enter this contest.
The list of winners for these prizes will be on this page by January 31, 2016