CiderCon2018 presentation – Cider Market LLC
Presenter Dale R. Brown, Ph.D. Managing Partner at Cyder Market LLC
Actual title of presentation: US Commercial Cider Makers by the Numbers – A “Community” Perspective
***Best listen – use headphones – Help Cider Chat improve audio recording and videos by donating to Cider Chat today.
Dan Brown, Ph.D. of Cyder Market LLC presented this program during the lunch hour lecture at the United States Association of Cider Makers (USACM) annual conference in Baltimore, Maryland.
Click below to listen and follow the presentation
Cyder Market LLC has been collecting data on ciders for the past 8 years. This online resource has over 13,000 data entries and as Dale Brown said during the presentation “More data on you than you have yourself.”
In 2014, Cyder Market LLC began posting information on the cider community: What is the community and Who is the market?
Key notables during the presentation:
- Currently over 3600 different cider styles being made by 820 producers.
- 90% of the makers have started their business since 2008
- The state with the highest number of ciders currently is New York.
- California and Michigan are currently tied at 87 cideries per state
- There are only two states with no known cideries: Nevada and Wyoming
Questions asked at end
1. Does Cider Market LLC have similar info on Canadian cider makers?
Answer: Yes. Dale Brown says they do have some info as well as info from other countries (about 18 countries) however that was not included in this presentation.
2. What is the oldest continuously operating cider producer in the country as noted in slide #5
Answer: B.F. Clyde’s Cider Mill located in Mystic Connecticut has the oldest steam powered cider mill in the US. It has been in use since 1881.
- Slide 1: Presentation title
- Slide 2: Current USA Cider Maker Growth by-Year: total 820
- Slide 3: Current USA Cider Makers by-Type-total 820
- Slide 4: Current USA Cider Makers by-State-total 820
- Slide 5: New USA Cider Maker Starts by-Year/Type- total 820
- Slide 6: same at Slide 5 with focus on shifts from 2013-2017
- Slide 7: Cider Makers with “Tasting” Rooms by-Type
- Slide 8: Cider Makers with “Tastings” by-State
- Slide 9: Cider Makers by-Type with “Direct to Consumer” Shipping
- Slide 10: Cider Producers by-Type for Sales Reach-total 820
- Slide 11: Cider Makers “Urban vs Rural” by Type-total 820
- Slide 12: same as above with focus on years 2013 and 2017
- Slide 13: Cider Makers that Own/Lease/Share Orchards by-Type
- Slide 14: Cider Makers Using Organic Fruits by Type-total 820
- Slide 15: Cider Makers Using “Heirloom” Apples by Type-total 820
- Slide 16: Key Community Considerations
- Slide 17: Questions
Contact for Cyder Market LLC
- Cyder Market LLC relies on makers submitting information on their business. Send info to email@example.com
- Website: https://www.cydermarket.com/
Ask for the following 9 #ciderGoingUP Campaign sponsors – By supporting these cider makers, you in turn help Cider Chat
- Kurant Cider – Pennsylvania : listen to Joe Getz on episode 14
- Big Apple Hard Cider – NYC : listen to Danielle von Scheiner on episode 35
- Oliver’s Cider and Perry – Herefordshire/UK ; listen to Tom Oliver on episode 29
- Santa Cruz Cider Company – California : listen to Nicole Todd on episode 60
- The Cider Project aka EthicCider– California
- Albermale CiderWorks : listen to Chuck Shelton on episode 56
- Cider Summit : listen to Alan Shapiro founder of this cider fest on episode 75.
- Ramborn Cider Co. Luxembourg.
- Big Fish Cider Co. Virginia
- Tanuki Cider Co. Santa Cruz California episode 103
Please Help Support Cider Chat Please donate today. Help keep the chat thriving!
Find this episode and all episodes at the page for Cider Chat’s podcasts.
Follow on twitter @ciderchat