Luis Ravina Pisaca’s title is enology or enologist, which means he is responsible for the cidermaking at Posma cidery in Tenerife, one of seven islands in the Canary Islands that are located in the Atlantic Ocean off the northwestern coast of Africa. Posma has been producing cider for 4-5 years.
Luis was attending the International Hall of Gala Ciders in Gijon, Asturias in September 2016. We recorded this chat on the steps outside that all day cider fest.
Posma makes a Sidra Natural which is actually a Brut. Though named Sidra Natural don’t expect the typical acetic taste that one might find in the many delicious Asturian Sidras. Posma produced 4000 bottles of this cider in 2016. It is corked and bottle conditioned. The clarity is brilliant. The taste profile is a blend of UK and Asturian, showcasing the best of both those region’s (UK and Asturias) ciders. It is light and delicate making it a fine special occasion cider, while providing a savory “Umami” backdrop, with a whisper of acidity. The complexity encourages one to slow down, while at the same time I wanted to gulp back the bottle as my thirst grew for more.
Why did Luis start producing cider?
To address the loss of so many apples that were not being used on Tenerife, Posma began making cider.
What kind of apples varieties do they have?
Tenerife primarily has Reineta (Spanish), Reinnette (as written in French) and Rennet as written in English. apples. It is a yellow skin apple, which is more like a tan than bright yellow.
What is the apple growing scene like on Tenerife?
- 50-60 hectares (123-148 acres) of apples trees on the island
- It is a very desert climate, but they do get snow in the mountains.
- The Canary Islands have the highest mountains of any other islands in the world- some are 12000’+
- Apples have been grown on the Canary Islands since 1850
- Gran Canaria had the first cidery called Gran Valle
What are the ciders like that Posma makes?
- They use the Champagne method for producing their Brut
- They only make one style of cider
Okay so maybe I messed up a bit with the pronunciation: It takes a lot to keep switching to accents – the best woes of being a podcaster.
Does Posma have a Tasting Room?
- Call ahead to make an appointment.
How is the reception to cider in the area?
- Everyone is enjoying cider, both men and women, young and old
Visiting and Landing into the Canary Islands
There are two airport on the island, but the international airport is Los Tenerife North Airport, formerly “Los Rodeos Airport” as Luis refers to it. It is located in San Cristóbal de La Laguna. Los Tenerife is 10 kilometers from Posma cidery.
Address: Tomas Zerolo 46
38300 La Orotava, Tenerife
phone: + 687 842 010
Mentions in this chat
View the YouTube clip of the Whistled Language of the island of La Gomera one of the Canary Islands
Przemek Map of Polish cideries http://bit.ly/2jOkf2A
Przemek says, “Blue colors – is big cider “factories” (low quality) and green – small, micro cider mills with quality products.”
Going to Chicago Cider Week?
Want a Cider Chat baseball cap? Send me an email email@example.com
Mentions in this Chat!
Cider Chat at The Northman (Chicago Cider Bar) February 7, 2017 at 4:30pm
CiderCon February 8th through 10th, 2017
Chicago Cider Summit February 11, 2017
Ask for the following 4 #CiderGoingUP Campaign cider supporters – By supporting these cider makers, you in turn help Ciderville.
- Big Apple Hard Cider – NYC : listen to Danielle von Scheiner on episode 35
- Kurant Cider – Pennsylvania : listen to Joe Getz on episode 14
- Oliver’s Cider and Perry – Herefordshire/UK ; listen to Tom Oliver on episode 29
- Santa Cruz Cider Company – California : listen to Nicole Todd on episode 60
- The Cider Project – California
- Albermale CiderWorks : listen to Chuck Shelton on episode 56
Please Help Support Cider Chat Please donate today. Help keep the chat thriving!
Find this episode and all episodes at the page for Cider Chat’s podcasts.
Follow on twitter @ciderchat
Haven’t downloaded this chat yet? Here is is again.