Tin Hat cidermaker Teddy Weber is stewarding a 25 year old orchard in Waitsfield Vermont. This musician by trade got his taste for cider in the UK during his music gigs while there. He teamed up with Sue and Gib Geiger who own the orchard that Teddy has been stewarding and where this chat takes place.
In this chat, Teddy and I walkabout in the orchard in Waitsfield and discuss the beginnings of Tin Hat, apple varieties, working with culinary apples for cider and culinary pears, cultured yeast vs wild yeast. His enthusiasm for apples and pears is contagious.
Apples in this Chat
- Northwestern Greening
- Kerr Crabapple
- Barry Red
- Honey Gold
- Scott Winter
- Golden Russet
- Dolgo Crab
- Yellow Transparent
- Red Astrican
- Duchess of Oldenberg
- Northern Spy
Cidermaking techniques used
- cyro-extraction – getting the juice directly from a frozen apple
- cyroconcentration – the apple is pressed and then you freeze the juice
Tin Hat Ciders (currently)
Traditional still cider, unfiltered, wild fermented, dry. 0% Residual Sugar. Aged in old neutral french oak barrels. Spontaneous malolactic fermentation in summer 2016.
Effervescent, dry heritage cider from old heirloom apples. bottle conditioned. wild and cultured yeasts, blended from barrel and tank. Partial pétulant natural.
Effervescent dry cider. bottle conditioned. Wild and cultured yeasts, secondary fermentation in bottle on champagne yeast.
Contact for Tin Hat
Cidermaker: Teddy Weber
PO Box 103
Roxbury, Vermont 05669
Mentions in this Chat
Win a pair of Tickets to Cider Circus August 25th & 26th
- Entery by subscribing to eCiderNews and be automatically entered for the June 30th Giveaway for 2 tickets to Cider Circus August 25th & 26th 2017 at Copper Mountain Ski Resort in Colorado http://cidercircus.com/
Eden Specialty Ciders in Vermont makers of fine ice cider
Teddy mentioned Claude’s book below in this chat.
Ask for the following 7 #CiderGoingUP Campaign cider supporters – By supporting these cider makers, you in turn help Ciderville.
- Kurant Cider – Pennsylvania : listen to Joe Getz on episode 14
- Big Apple Hard Cider – NYC : listen to Danielle von Scheiner on episode 35
- Oliver’s Cider and Perry – Herefordshire/UK ; listen to Tom Oliver on episode 29
- Santa Cruz Cider Company – California : listen to Nicole Todd on episode 60
- The Cider Project aka EthicCider– California
- Albermale CiderWorks : listen to Chuck Shelton on episode 56
- Cider Summit : listen to Alan Shapiro founder of this cider fest on episode 75.
Please Help Support Cider Chat Please donate today. Help keep the chat thriving!
Find this episode and all episodes at the page for Cider Chat’s podcasts.
Follow on twitter @ciderchat
Haven’t downloaded this chat yet? Here is is again.