Jake Mann’s family legacy goes back to the early days of apple growing and shipping in the California. His parent’s ranch Five Mile Orchard is a locally known historical location, where his great, great grandfather settled and built what is known as Sam L. Mann & Company apple storage facility and orchard in the early 1920’s.
The family ranch is located five miles north of the city of Watsonville, thus the name, “Five Mile Orchard”. 17 varieties of apples are grown with the majority being Newtown Pippin. The Gravenstein apple is the first variety on the market in late July, followed by Gala, Golden, Red Delicious, Winter Banana, Bellefleur, Mutsu, Empire, Granny Smith and the Newtown Pippin.
In this chat we tour the Apple Storage facility at Sam L Mann & Co. and ride out into the orchard discussing a range of topics relevant to orchardist, apple fans and cidermakers.
Sam L Mann Co provides apples to the following cideries.
- Rider Ranch Cider Co. Listen to Eric and Katie Ride on episode 110
- Santa Cruz Cider Co. Listen to Nicole Todd on episode 60
- Tanuki Cider Co. Listen to Robby Honda on episode 103
- Tilted Shed Cider Co.
- And apples to Martinellis, makers of a well known US Brand of Sparkling Ciders.
Contact info for Jake Mann
- 2930 Freedom Boulevard
- Watsonville, California 95078
- +001- 800-643-2462
Ask for the following 9 #ciderGoingUP Campaign sponsors – By supporting these cider makers, you in turn help Cider Chat
- Kurant Cider – Pennsylvania : listen to Joe Getz on episode 14
- Big Apple Hard Cider – NYC : listen to Danielle von Scheiner on episode 35
- Oliver’s Cider and Perry – Herefordshire/UK ; listen to Tom Oliver on episode 29
- Santa Cruz Cider Company – California : listen to Nicole Todd on episode 60
- The Cider Project aka EthicCider– California
- Albemarle CiderWorks : listen to Chuck Shelton on episode 56
- Cider Summit : listen to Alan Shapiro founder of this cider fest on episode 75.
- Ramborn Cider Co. Luxembourg.
- Big Fish Cider Co. Virginia
Please Help Support Cider Chat Please donate today. Help keep the chat thriving!
Find this episode and all episodes at the page for Cider Chat’s podcasts.
Follow on twitter @ciderchat
Haven’t downloaded this chat yet? Here is is again.