Lee Reeve arrived in Japan in 2003 as an artist from the United Kingdom. Today in Yokohama, he is still crafting his magician skills, but his love of cider has led him into Japan’s growing cider market.
We chat on the current pulse of cider in the country and what Lee is doing to help inspire cider makers and consumers alike. And:
- What kind of apples are used in Japan to make cider and is this changing.
- French vs English cider
- Cider events in Japan
Lee sees that cider being package in primarily large bottles 750ML as a deterrent to the general public at large not reaching for cider when it is only packaged in large bottles
And, the world “cider” in Japan usually refers to a carbonated alcopop versions of cider. Yet, there are many French cidres (the Japanese do use this kind of spelling widely for cider) available, but as mentioned, Lee being from Scotland means he obviously has a hankering for ciders styles that harken back to his homeland.
All this cider love lead Lee to meeting Clive Poole the owner of the Full Monty British Pub and Cider House with 7 draft lines of cider and over 80 bottle option too! Lee and Clive created a working relationship where Lee would write about the cider at the Full Monty and in turn get cider. Along with Kai, Clive’s wife, these three entrepreneurs founded the World Cider Experience and now have the magazine InCiderJapan.
What is InCiderJapan?
- – a media, promotion, consulting company
- – also an importing and retailing cider related good and merchandise.
- – InCiderJapan is a quarterly magazine with the first edition being this winter’s edition of InCiderJapan.
The goal of InCiderJapan magazine is three fold
- to be educational and informative for the public
- to provide a platform to Japanese makers
- to provide the world with a insider’s view of the Japanese cider market.
Contact for Lee Reeve
Full Monty British Pub and Cider House
Ask for the following 9 #ciderGoingUP Campaign sponsors – By supporting these cider makers, you in turn help Cider Chat
- Kurant Cider – Pennsylvania : listen to Joe Getz on episode 14
- Big Apple Hard Cider – NYC : listen to Danielle von Scheiner on episode 35
- Oliver’s Cider and Perry – Herefordshire/UK ; listen to Tom Oliver on episode 29
- Santa Cruz Cider Company – California : listen to Nicole Todd on episode 60
- The Cider Project aka EthicCider– California
- Albermale CiderWorks : listen to Chuck Shelton on episode 56
- Cider Summit : listen to Alan Shapiro founder of this cider fest on episode 75.
- Ramborn Cider Co. Luxembourg.
- Big Fish Cider Co. Virginia
Please Help Support Cider Chat Please donate today. Help keep the chat thriving!
Find this episode and all episodes at the page for Cider Chat’s podcasts.
Follow on twitter @ciderchat
Haven’t downloaded this chat yet? Here is is again.