Budgeting money effectively is critical whether you are managing a household or a commercial business such as a cidery. In this episode of Cider Chat I speak with Eleanor Leger of Eden Specialty Cider based Vermont now in it’s 10th year of business.
Two years ago, she started a blog call Cidernomics.com.
In this chat we get a sneak peek into her 2018 CiderCon on this very topic on the economics of cider and get some real time tips.
The 5 concepts to consider in Cidernomics.
- Economies of scale
- The break even point …and how that changes as you grow
- Asset utilization
- Working capital requirements
- Sales channel economics
What is one the key questions to consider when thinking about a cidery startup?
– Are you going to make cider like beer is produced with a quick turn around or more as a winemaker would producing for a vintage longer term.
Contact for Eden Specialty Ciders
Address: 150 MAIN STREET, NEWPORT VERMONT 05855
Mentions in this Chat
• What is Biodynamic?
As Eleanor puts it “Growing a strong fighting tree. Making our own compost and compost teas that we spray on the trees.”
Find out more on biodynamic farming via this link. https://www.biodynamics.com/what-is-biodynamics
Ask for the following 9 #ciderGoingUP Campaign sponsors – By supporting these cider makers, you in turn help Cider Chat
- Kurant Cider – Pennsylvania : listen to Joe Getz on episode 14
- Big Apple Hard Cider – NYC : listen to Danielle von Scheiner on episode 35
- Oliver’s Cider and Perry – Herefordshire/UK ; listen to Tom Oliver on episode 29
- Santa Cruz Cider Company – California : listen to Nicole Todd on episode 60
- The Cider Project aka EthicCider– California
- Albermale CiderWorks : listen to Chuck Shelton on episode 56
- Cider Summit : listen to Alan Shapiro founder of this cider fest on episode 75.
- Ramborn Cider Co. Luxembourg.
- Big Fish Cider Co. Virginia
Please Help Support Cider Chat Please donate today. Help keep the chat thriving!
Find this episode and all episodes at the page for Cider Chat’s podcasts.
Follow on twitter @ciderchat
Haven’t downloaded this chat yet? Here is is again.